Looking for the perfect weekend escape this winter? Try Deer Lodge in Lake Louise.
Sometimes you just need to unplug and take a break from life in the city. I know that by the time Friday rolls around I just want to get away from it all. This weekend we discovered a hidden gem in the most perfect location imaginable. We’ve all seen those pictures of someone soaking in a hot tub surrounded by the Alps on Instagram and wished we could just fly away to Europe, right? Little did we know, there’s something even better a couple hours from Calgary.
Here are a few highlights from our trip to Deer Lodge this weekend:
1) The Outdoor Hot Tub… I literally cannot get over the hot tub
It’s one of those spots where you have to keep pinching yourself to prove it’s real.
2) The Food … not only locally sourced but DELICIOUS
Eating in the Mount Fairview Dining Room was a culinary first for us both. We got to try some very Canadian dishes that included wild game like Caribou and Bison – all sourced from Deer Lodge’s very own wild game ranch – pretty unique for a hotel! Check out their awesome menus right here.
One of the best things on the menu for us was the home made ice cream. It’s been a long time since we’d tried ice cream this good.. seriously.. and they come in some very inventive flavours – berry and cola, eggnog, cabernet chocolate, Ferrero Rochet, raspberry truffle espresso etc. Get 3 scoops and prepare to have your mind blown.
3) The Location … when you’re choosing a place to stay this is usually the most important factor
Deer Lodge puts you within walking distance of the famous Lake Louise and driving distance to the best spots in the Rockies:
– Moraine Lake (15 minute drive)
– Bow Lake (20 minute drive)
– Peyto Lake (23 minute drive) – Johnston Canyon (20 minute drive) – Lake O’Hara (15 minute drive) – Natural Bridge and Emerald Lake (20-25 minute drive)
– Kicking Horse Ski Resort (1 hr 15 minutes)
– Sunshine Village Ski Resort (30 minutes)
– Lake Louise ski resort (5 minutes)
4) The Building … you’re basically transported back in time
Want to feel like you just stepped into the pages of a Canadian history book? You’ll absolutely love this historic building.
We stayed in a heritage room with a beautiful view of the forest and mountains behind. The room didn’t have a tv, which we thought was awesome and was really in keeping with the feel of staying in an old wintery cabin. No TV and more conversation, the way things should be! Anyway if you reeeaally need to watch something, there’s a TV and a DVD collection in the common area that you can raid if need be!
5) There’s just so much to do! The options are literally endless. Take your pick of:
-Ice Skating on Lake Louise
-Cross country skiing on the many trails in the area
-Snowshoe in and around Lake Louise
-Downhill skiing at the world famous resorts nearby like Sunshine Village and Lake Louise Ski Resort